Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Blonde Brownies

I don't know how old the recipe card for this recipe is, but I'm glad I got it. It is a super easy go-to treat when you need to take cookies or some sort of dessert somewhere. While the Baked Apple Donuts recipe is a must make recipe, Blonde Brownies are a close second. I love them!

We all know this isn't one of those recipes that hasn't been made. Mom must have assembled this into one of her recipe collections years ago. There has been some questions about what the real recipe is (the Allred cookbook does not have it correct, I am told), and this recipe is just a little bit different.

2 3/4 c. flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 c. melted shortening
2 1/4 c. brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. walnuts, chopped
1 pkg. chocolate chips (6 oz)

Pour melted shortening over sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, flour, baking powder, salt, and vanilla. Pour and spread in greased pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips over top. I guess they want to make sure you get the vanilla in and the walnuts are optional. I always make them without the nuts.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.

I love blonde brownies, but they always seem to be gooey in the center of the pan. I would suggest cooking them longer than 25 minutes just to make sure they are really done. However, watch them because the edges cook quicker.

Ben took most of them to YM/YW when he was in charge of bringing the treats. Everyone loved them! One of the young men even lost one of his teeth in his. I was happy to make them, but also happy that we only ended up with about 1/4 of a pan to gorge myself on.

2 comments:

  1. I just made these Sunday. They always do seem to be undercooked in the middle and overdone on the edges, but they are always delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them gooey and underdone.

    ReplyDelete