Thursday, May 1, 2014

Chocolate Cupcakes

So, this isn't technically a Cupboard Recipe. I've been at Mom's this week, and thought I would try out some of her gluten free all purpose baking mix. There are several recipes on the box: the typical baking mix ones like pancakes and biscuits and then some non-traditional ones like sugar cookies, coffee cake, and these cupcakes. Since Little Chubb's birthday is next week, I thought I'd give the cupcakes a try so I can be in the cake baking mode.


1 cup King Arthur Flour Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Mix
1/2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter, softened
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 large eggs
1/2 cup water

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 12 muffin cups or line them with cupcake papers.

Whisk together the baking mix and cocoa; set aside.

Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until just incorporated after each addition. Stir in the baking mix/cocoa alternately with the water.

Scoop by level 1/4-cupfuls into the prepared muffin cups.

Bake the cupcakes until a cake tester comes out clean and the middle springs back when pressed lightly, 20 to 22 minutes.

Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from the pan.

Cool completely before frosting.

Yield: 12 cupcakes

My verdict on the gluten free cupcakes: ok. The frosting really made them delicious, which isn't even what the recipe was for. I felt like they had a little bit of a different consistency to them and a slight aftertaste. But, they did come together quickly and cooked nicely. And, it made exactly 12 cupcakes.

PS. The decorating one was floating around on pinterest before Easter and the was an unopened pack of peep bunnies waiting on the counter for me to take care of them.

1 comment:

  1. You have to practice to get into the cake baking mode? I guess it just comes naturally to me.

    I agree about gluten free stuff. I think it tastes chalky.

    ReplyDelete