Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Granola

This is another Tonya Campbell recipe, #6092.

4 c uncooked oatmeal
1 1/2 c wheat germ
1 c grated coconut
1/4 c powdered milk
1 T cinnamon
1 T brown sugar
1/3 c vegetable oil
1/2 c honey
1 T vanilla

Mix dry ingredients. Warm oil, honey and vanilla. Pour over dry ingredients and stir until coated. Bake on cookie sheet at 250 degrees for 1 hour or 300 degrees for 1/2 hour. Turn frequently. OPTIONAL: Sesame seeds, nuts, bran, etc. Be creative!! Add dry fruit after baking. Enjoy!

I substituted ground flax for the wheat germ. I can't seem to find wheat germ at my favorite grocery stores. I really like the taste of this granola, but it didn't get clumpy like granola should. I realized a few days after making it that I only put in 1/4 c honey. That probably had something to do with it. We all really like granola, so I'll probably make it again and see if the extra honey helps hold things together better. Maybe I'll up the brown sugar too, because that seems like it would help things stick as well.

3 comments:

  1. This is actually very similar to a recipe Jacob has, except for the nasty coconut. And he uses almond extract because he likes that. We really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds tasty. Most of the granolas I've made are not very clumpy. I think brown would be the most helpful if you want it clumpier.

    ReplyDelete