Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Turkey Crepes

I got an old cookbook from Mom entitled "Let's Eat!" (The title page is missing; Mom had to tell me the title).  It's from their ward in Fargo and has tons of awesome looking recipes in it.  It also has a lot of recipes handwritten by Mom that she said she never ended up making.  So I got busy and started making some.  This one looked interesting and cheap, so I tried it out.

Turkey Crepes                                          374 degrees 15 minutes
6 servings 42 cents each  (I'm sure that amount has increased these days, but it's still cheap)


1/2 c uncooked rice
3 T butter
2 T flour
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 c water
5 T instant dry milk
1 c shredded swiss cheese
1 small onion, chopped
3/4 c ground turkey
1/2 c peas
1/4 t rosemary, thyme, dry mustard


1.  Cook rice.
2.  Make cheese sauce.
3.  Saute onions; add turkey and spices and rice and 1/3 c cheese sauce.
4.  Spoon mixture into crepes; fold; place in pan; cover with cheese sauce.
5.  Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.

Crepes:  2 eggs, 5 T dry milk, 1 c water, 1 c flour, 1/4 t salt and 2 T melted butter.
Whirl in blender 'til smooth. Refrigerate at least 1 hr.  Cook. 12 crepes.

We loved this recipe.  I thought the crepes might be weird, but they tasted great.  The filling wasn't exciting at all--it was the crepes and cheese sauce that made this recipe.  We both really liked these; they were healthy, filling, and cheap.  The only problem I had with this was that it took forever to make and it made tons of dirty dishes. It's worth the sacrifice though, so we're going to add it to our normal dinner rotation.  Yay for crepes!

5 comments:

  1. I wonder if it would ruin the recipe to cook it at 375 degrees.

    I'll try these someday. I have had chicken enchiladas with crepes instead of tortillas, and I didn't love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preston wants me to pin this. Can you create a pin?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I will use some frozen crepes to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, you should be able to just click on the picture to pin it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had these tonight and they weren't half bad. And since they are inexpensive we'll probably have it quite often.

    ReplyDelete