Thursday, January 8, 2015

Gnocchi with Zucchini Ribbons and Parsley Brown Butter

Brooke just threw up all over me.  Actually, all over everything--the floor, her beloved teddy, the couch, herself, my hair, and down my shirt.  We finally got everything cleaned up and the smell of vomit lingers in my nose.  Needless to say, food does not sound very appetizing right this moment.  Good thing I had already cleaned up this tasty dinner.

Gnocchi with Zucchini Ribbons and Parsley Brown Butter
from eatingwell.com
I used whole wheat gnocchi

Ingredients
  • 1 pound fresh or frozen gnocchi
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 medium shallots, chopped
  • 1 pound zucchini, (about 3 small), very thinly sliced lengthwise (see Tip)
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
  • Freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Preparation

  1. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Cook gnocchi until they float, 3 to 5 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
  2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until the butter is beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add shallots and zucchini and cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, salt, nutmeg and pepper and continue cooking, stirring often, until the tomatoes are just starting to break down, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in Parmesan and parsley. Add the gnocchi and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Well, I love this meal.  Jacob doesn't like zucchini, so he wasn't a big fan, but he ate it graciously.  Brooke wouldn't touch the zucchini with a ten foot pole (side note--I'm never going to get my zucchini week with a family that doesn't like zucchini), she already dislikes tomatoes, and she thought the gnocchi had a weird texture, so she kept putting it in her mouth, then spitting it right back out.  My only issue was the nutmeg.  Maybe it's my altered taste buds, but I felt like I put too much in.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to eating leftovers for lunch tomorrow.  I highly recommend this to anyone who wants a quick, tasty dinner. 

2 comments:

  1. This does look delicious. Good photo, too. I've never used gnocchi in my cooking, but it seems easy. I might wait until zucchini and tomatoes are in season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this stuff. Good thing you convinced me to make it because it was delicious once again. And, if you want to have zucchini week you can come here and have it with us.

    PS I have tried three times to make this comment.

    ReplyDelete