Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Mustard Pickles

Update: Big Chubb opened a jar of mustard pickles last night. He was surprised at first because they are sweet. He was hoping/expecting dill. But, everyone liked them, of course. And, I didn't mess them up. They tasted just like the ones I remember having growing up.

Tis the season here in Minnesota to get your garden goods put up for the winter. I started on Wednesday and have been doing some food preservation everyday since. Today I did this one. I actually remember having these when I was little. I loved them.

2-3 lbs pickles (8 cups)
1 1/2 c vinegar
1 (c?) water
1 c sugar
1/2 c mustard
2 tsp salt

5 min

That was all the handwritten recipe said, so I guessed it meant cook all the ingredients for 5 minutes and then process them. I'm really hoping it was right because I don't really want to be eating mushy pickles all winter.

I haven't actually tried them yet. They need a some time to pickle. I'll let everyone know if I messed up or they turned out great.

3 comments:

  1. What do you do with mustard pickles other than eat them plain? Sounds gross, but I'm sure your household will appreciate them more than most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come I don't remember ever eating these?

    ReplyDelete