Monday, June 23, 2014

Sweet Potato Gems

This recipe is also from the Sweet Potato Booklet.  I wasn't sure what to expect when I made these. Muffins?  Biscuits?  The result was neither.  It was almost a muffin, but denser.  Partially because I forgot the baking powder, but also I think it is supposed to be denser than your average muffin.

Sweet Potato Gems

Take equal parts finely mashed sweet potato and flour, about 1 quart each, 2 tablespoons butter, a little salt, 1 or 2 eggs, 2 teaspoons baking powder, and milk enough to make a medium stiff batter; bake in muffin tins in hot oven.  These are also good served with fricasseed chicken.

I had to look up fricasseed chicken to find out what it was.  We did not have these with fricasseed chicken. Even though they were dense, we both liked these.  They would have been much better with the baking soda however.  I will probably forgo these in favor of the sweet potato rolls that I made awhile back.

1 comment:

  1. I think I would like these. But I still haven't made the sweet potato rolls, and I want to try those first.

    ReplyDelete